Friday, March 13, 2009

Drawing Inspiration in D.C. from President Obama

During my trip to Washington D.C. this week to lobby for stimulus funds and jobs in education, transportation and public safety for Angelenos, I was fortunate enough to hear Barack Obama make his first major speech about education since becoming president. I had a great view as the President addressed the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and I was inspired as President Obama asked all Americans, Democrats and Republicans, to put our differences aside so we can give our children the kind of education they need to compete in the 21st Century. The president was particularly focused on doing all we can do to make improvements in math and science, a concept I’ve been lobbying for since my days on the Board of Education. The soon to open Mendez Learning Center in Boyle Heights will have a focus on math, science, technology and engineering. I’m hoping that those of us working on preparing that school to open will draw inspiration from the President’s words and do all that we can to help those incoming students excel at the highest level possible.