Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Enjoying family and history at El Sereno Parade, Concert and Fireworks Show

On Sunday, we celebrated Independence Day El Sereno style. The El Sereno Independence Day parade, which marked the 50th Anniversary of the parade, was put on by the El Sereno Bicentennial Committee and was a lot of fun. I was happy to participate, and I was very glad to see that so many families came out to our 2nd annual El Sereno Concert and Fireworks show at El Sereno Park. When I was elected to the City Council, I wanted to bring the fireworks show back to our communities (El Sereno had gone 25 years without one) and it was great to see the thousands who came out for this event yesterday. Louie Moreno from Sports Rap-Up (who was my baseball coach in high school), came out to MC and everyone loved the bands that provided the kind of music that got people out of their seats and onto the dance floor. Thank you so much to all of our entertainers! And a big thank you to the CD14 staff who worked so hard to make sure everything ran smooth. These festivities mean a great deal to me. They are fun, free, and most importantly, safe. I hope you all had a great time!