Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wilson Mules Showing Their Spirit with Book Drive

I want to thank the Wilson Mules Book Drive Committee and all their volunteers who came out and worked so hard today to put on a great Pep Rally to raise money for the Wilson Library, which hasn't received new books for six years because of budget cuts. Made up Wilson alumni from different generations, the committee, chaired by Peter Cabrera, brought this pressing issue to my attention at a fundraiser they hosted at Shakey's in Alhambra. Today, I was honored to present them with a check for $1,500.

My office also brought in author Reyna Grande, who is program coordinator for the Latino Book and Family Festival (LBFF), which is the largest festival of Latino writers ever (Oct. 9-10 at Cal State L.A.). The LBFF has graciously offered to donate books to the Wilson library from this year's festival, as well as create a place where patrons can buy books and donate them to the Wilson library.

As a child, libraries were my sanctuary and the foundation for my education. I voted against budget cuts to our City libraries because I know they can transform lives, especially for our youth.


Please support both these very important and deserving efforts here in our community. For more information on the Wilson book drive go to wilsonmulesbookdrive.org. For more information on the Latino Book and Family Festival, go to lbff.us/losangeles.