Monday, December 8, 2008

$50,000 Reward Leads Police to Alleged Murder Suspect

Just a week after Fernando Garcia was cruelly beaten to death and his body found in a Boyle Heights dumpster, I was asked by the Hollenbeck Police Department to get the City Council’s approval for a reward for the arrest of the person responsible. I pushed it through as fast as I could; we held a press conference with police and Fernando’s distraught family and announced a $50,000 reward. Very soon after that, a person saw the announcement on the news and told police where the lead suspect could be found. He was arrested in Las Vegas and brought to Los Angeles where he’ll stand trial. I want to thank Hollenbeck Police for their work on this case, the brave Garcia family who came forward at a very difficult time to plea for the public’s help in putting their son’s killer behind bars. I hope that this arrest, in some small way, can help them begin to heal. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.